Frequently asked questions

A Notice of Intended Marriage (NIM) is completed by both the bride and groom with the celebrant.  This officially lodges your intent to marry.

You must lodge your NIM at least one month before your wedding date (eg if the marriage is on 1 November 2016 the NIM must be lodged with the celebrant no later than 1 October 2016.

Your NIM is current for 18 months from the date of lodgement.

A copy of your birth certificate AND
A copy of your driver’s licence or other form of photo identification OR
A copy of your passport
If you are divorced you will need to produce your divorce certificate.
If you are widowed you need to produce your late spouse’s death certificate.

In order to be married according to laws in Australia (Marriage Act 1961), a man and a woman must make certain vows to each other and the celebrant is required to make certain statements to the couple and their witnesses.

Yes.  You need to have two witnesses at the ceremony who are over the age of 18 and are able to understand the purpose of the ceremony.

It can depend on the type of ceremony you want how far the celebrant has to travel.  Its best to meet with your celebrant and discuss your requirements.

The length of the ceremony depends on what the bride and groom want to include.  Generally, ceremonies take about 30 minutes, but it depends on the number of readings, any special rituals and other requests from the bridal party.

Yes, you can.  Your celebrant will take you through the ceremony step by step and give you all the assistance you need to have the ceremony you want.

You will receive a Certificate of Marriage from your celebrant.  Although this is a legal document, it is not widely accepted as a form of identification, so it is advisable to apply for a copy of your registered marriage certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths & Marriages. Your celebrant can apply for the certificate on your behalf.

No you do not have to change your name.

It’s always advisable to contact the organisation you are dealing with to confirm their requirements to change your name.  However, in most cases, you supply a copy of your registered marriage certificate (from BDM) together with your birth certificate to the organisation and you can usually change your name.  You may need a certified copy, in which case the photocopy needs to be witnessed by a Justice of the Peace.

Once your marriage is solemnized, the celebrant will send all the paperwork to the appropriate Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages and your marriage will be registered.

Arrange your complimentary consultation today